[cairo] Patch improving fallbacks

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jan 31 08:26:58 PST 2005

Around 8 o'clock on Jan 31, Tim Rowley wrote:

> In my case, implementing SVG in mozilla, I do care about what was
> drawn underneath - SVG fragments are supposed to be composited
> with the rest of page, which is drawn with QuickDraw/Quartz.

Right now, you can interpose native and cairo graphics in arbitrary order
and 'the right thing' happens.  That's nice, but the cost is horrendous;
every cairo operation must be bracketed with getting and putting the
contents of the native object.

The change that we've considered is to make the application developer help
out by telling cairo when to fetch and restore the native object contents.
This should dramatically improve performance when cairo must draw things
in software.

-keith