[cairo] Patch improving fallbacks

Tim Rowley tor at cs.brown.edu
Mon Jan 31 08:47:02 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 08:26:58AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 8 o'clock on Jan 31, Tim Rowley wrote:
> > In my case, implementing SVG in mozilla, I do care about what was
> > drawn underneath - SVG fragments are supposed to be composited
> > with the rest of page, which is drawn with QuickDraw/Quartz.
>
> Right now, you can interpose native and cairo graphics in arbitrary order
> and 'the right thing' happens.  That's nice, but the cost is horrendous;
> every cairo operation must be bracketed with getting and putting the
> contents of the native object.

I'm not interested in interleaving drawing in an area - mozilla's
view manager makes sure things are drawn in the right order
(caveat: <svg:foreignObject> gets a bit more complicated).  All I
want is the cairo drawing to composite properly over what was
already drawn.  This works fine on X11, but not with the current
quartz backend.

-tor