[cairo] SVG Scene Toolkit update

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro gjc at inescporto.pt
Wed Jun 15 09:03:24 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 18:01 -0400, Liam Breck wrote:
> We've posted a new release of the...
>
> SVG Scene/Canvas Library for cairo & Pango
>   http://networkimprov.net/airwrx/awscene.html
>
> This release deepens the SVG support with paths and shapes, and renders to
> a cairo Win32 surface. (Text and images are rendered via Win32 GDI at this
> point - Pango coming soon.) It includes an example app and a build of cairo
> for Windows.
>
> The SVG Scene toolkit enables applications to create views by constructing
> an SVG content model, or scene. (This functionality is also called a
> canvas.)

>  The scene may be displayed simultaneously in multiple windows,
> possibly on separate clients.

  How would separate clients communicate with each other?

  And I suppose that having SVG as wire format for inter-process canvas
object embedding is the only reason for having an "SVG canvas".
Otherwise I would say that a canvas widget should be independent of
graphics file format, and SVG support should consist only of an optional
serialization interface on canvas items, along with a printing
interface.

>  Rendering of the scene is done via cairo and
> Pango, which in turn support diverse environments, e.g. Windows, MacOS,
> Postscript, Xlib, etc. The scene may be manipulated by multiple processes,
> enabling compound documents. The SVG Scene library supports ownership of
> content model elements by widgets of high-level application frameworks, but
> is not tied in to such frameworks.
>
> The current release is a prototype that requires Windows 2000 or later.
> Full source code is included, licensed under GNU LGPL. Feedback requested!

  Great to have this LGPL, but too bad for the C++ code, and naming
conventions used throughout the code looking "foreign" to gtk world,
which means gtk cannot use this as code base for a possible gtk canvas.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
<gjc at inescporto.pt> <gustavo at users.sourceforge.net>