[cairo] win32 build

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Jun 25 06:47:16 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 02:20 -0700, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> On 6/25/05, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> > > the win32 surface works with it applied (by "works" I mean
> > > cairo-snippets runs).
> >
> > Sadly, I think that's the best test we have right now for the win32
> > backend. It would certainly be nice to have something automated but
> > Owen expressed some concerns about this not being
> > easy/possible/beneficial.
>
> I'll look into extending cairo-test.c to handle win32 and glitz; even
> though win32 just chains to the image surface for ARGB (as the comment
> says), just a compilation-only test would probably help.  Which tests
> would fail if they were given a RGB24 surface instead?  (That question
> can probably best be answered just by running the tests, I think; I'll
> try that tomorrow.)

All the tests will fail if they are given a RGB24 surface instead, since
they compare the results against a test image.

My concerns with trying to use the existing set of test cases to the
win32 backend are described:

 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2005-May/003924.html

There's actually missing API to make it possible, but I don't think
adding such API is sensible or worthwhile.

If we we wanted to do automated test, what I'd suggest is writing
a small set of RGB24-surface tests targeted specifically at the
accelerated code paths at the win32 backend: if you avoided text
rendering you could compare such tests across multiple backends.
(Mostly: no guarantee of last-bit accuracy for alpha-blending)

Text rendering is going to be even more of a problem than for the
freetype backend: operating system version, system configuration, and
even possibly graphics driver could even affect the final pixels,
so to some extent, manual checking with something like
cairo-snippets or GTK+/Win32 is going to be needed.

Regards,
						Owen