[cairo] turn off antialiasing

Silenio Quarti Silenio_Quarti at ca.ibm.com
Mon Mar 7 17:31:08 PST 2005

SWT provides a platform independent Java API to OS functionality (it is
not an end application).  In some cases, only the end application can
decide if antialiasing should or not be used. Other graphics libraries we
are looking at (like GDI+, Quartz, Java 2D) have some kind of API to
control if antialiasing is applied or not (at least on a hint level). That
is why SWT would like to expose this API. So, at the moment the concern is
not speed or crisp edges, it is just what kind of API SWT will/can expose
to the SWT user (end application).

Silenio

Owen Taylor <otaylor at redhat.com>
03/07/2005 07:15 PM

Silenio Quarti/Ottawa/IBM at IBMCA
cc
cairo at cairographics.org
Subject
Re: [cairo] turn off antialiasing

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 17:33 -0500, Silenio Quarti wrote:
> Making a long history shorter. I am an SWT developer from the
Eclipse.org
> project. For those that do not know, SWT is a Java widget toolkit that
> uses native widget and graphics support available on the platforms it
> supports. Anyway, SWT is adding new API for advanced graphics support
and
> is considering Cairo for X Windows platforms (GTK, Motif, etc).
>
> On of the requirements for the new API is to be able to turn
> anti-antialising off.

Simply saying "it's part of the API" doesn't really give enough
information. For one thing, without an understanding of *why* someone
using your API is going to anti-aliasing off, we have no idea of
what rasterization rule is appropriate.

Is the concern speed? Is it OK if a backend that can render antialiased
 polygons as fast as non-antialiased polygons antialiases everything?

Is the concern crisp edges on horizontal/vertical geometry?

or ...?

Regards,
  Owen