[cairo] turn off antialiasing

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 7 18:49:01 PST 2005

Around 16 o'clock on Mar 7, Kent Sandvik wrote:

> Concerning Cairo and embedded systems with non-optimal LCD displays,
> then turning off antialiasing would very much improve the performance,
> especially with smaller objects, texts, and so on... --Kent

I've been experimenting with lower-precision AA for embedded devices.  I
should have some "real" data around OLS for my 'twin' window system which
includes a cairo-lite graphics system, compositing window system and
(currently primitive) toolkit.

So far, performance seems adequate, even with anti-aliasing, and
appearance on tiny screens is certainly better with even limited AA than
without.

When going further down-scale, I've done a sample monochome graphics
library (twing) that does sub-pixel positioned paths but no anti-aliasing
(the targe LCD is strictly monochrome).

I think if you've got color, you should try lower-precision AA and see if
it's fast enough; cairo's big problem right now is mostly cheezy
algorithms for the core graphics operations, something Carl is busy
working on fixing.

-keith.