[cairo] Re[2]: Cairographics on win32

Jason Dorje Short jdorje at users.sf.net
Wed Mar 30 11:35:12 PST 2005

Andreas Raab wrote:
>> packaging/msvc would be better, as it is also possible (some would say
>> preferrable, even) to build Cairo on Win32 using the normal autofoo
>> mechanism, when using GNU tools ("mingw").
>
> Has anyone actually done this? The last time(s) I tried I always failed
> horribly (and I have no inclination to install half a GB of Cygwin to
> have a "proper" Unix environment).
>
> Instructions on the build process would be *extremely* welcome.

Mingw is not the same thing as cygwin at all.  Mingw is basically only
GNU's cc, binutils, and auto* tools, and links natively to windows
libraries.  From what I'm told mingw is actually a very nice build
environment for windows.

My personal experience however is only on cross-compiling using mingw.
See http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/crosscompile/cross-compiling.html if
you're interested in my notes on this.

-jason