[cairo] Re[2]: Cairographics on win32

Jason Dorje Short jdorje at users.sf.net
Wed Mar 30 12:33:49 PST 2005

Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>>> packaging/msvc would be better, as it is also possible (some would say
>>> preferrable, even) to build Cairo on Win32 using the normal autofoo
>>> mechanism, when using GNU tools ("mingw").
>>

>> Has anyone actually done this? The last time(s) I tried I always
>> failed horribly (and I have no inclination to install half a GB of
>> Cygwin to have a "proper" Unix environment).
>>
>> Instructions on the build process would be *extremely* welcome.
>
> Mingw is not the same thing as cygwin at all.  Mingw is basically only
> GNU's cc, binutils, and auto* tools, and links natively to windows
> libraries.  From what I'm told mingw is actually a very nice build
> environment for windows.
>
> My personal experience however is only on cross-compiling using mingw.
> See http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/crosscompile/cross-compiling.html if
> you're interested in my notes on this.

Update: I somewhat successfully cross-compiled cairo.

See http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/crosscompile/cross-compiling.html#cairo
for a full report (instructions for cross-compiling are at the top of
that file).  I found three buglets (which I reported in separate mails);
the attached patch contains all three fixes.

I ran into problems however when compiling test/read-png.c.  I don't
have libpng installed so the PNG backend wasn't built.  However the
read-png file doesn't seem to know this and tries to build itself
anyway.  I'd try to fix this, but since I heard the PNG backend was
going away, the check for it will probably change after that happens.

-jason