[cairo] MOZ-SVG-cairo (was: usable libsvg-cairo?)

Liam Breck svg at networkimprov.net
Thu May 12 18:58:24 PDT 2005

A "retained canvas" (if I interpret the term correctly) is what we're
building. It's basically an SVG object model designed for incremental
updates/rendering.

Parsing is omitted as the model is assembled procedurally from a high-level
description (not SVG). In our case this is handled on a server that then
sends SVG fragments to clients in a pre-parsed format.

Our canvas doesn't need all the dynamic SVG features (Javascript, forms),
but does need animation, style sheets, cursors, and others. Our canvas also
needs some extensions to SVG, e.g. to enable "client-specific" elements
when the canvas is a master for multiple remote screens.

Then we need a way to render the object model in cairo; it sounds like we
could use a lot of the libsvg-cairo code. The model interpreter obviously
has to drive animation, etc.

I'd be happy to make our current work the starting point for a
collaboration to develop an SVG-based canvas library with a cairo backend.

Our current object model and interpreter are somewhat primitive - just a
prototype - but you can download the code and a demo.
  http://networkimprov.net/airwrx/
In the source dir, awscene.cpp creates the object model (on server), and
awsvgterm.cpp maintains a copy and renders it (on client).

Liam