[cairo] [rcairo] move to Ruby-GNOME2?

Kouhei Sutou kou at cozmixng.org
Sat Sep 10 19:00:57 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm one of the developers of Ruby-GNOME2 project. I want to
add GDK-Cairo interface support (which is implemented at
GTK+ 2.8) to Ruby/GTK2 (Ruby bindings for GTK+ 2.x).

To do this, it's convenient that Ruby-GNOME2 project
includes rcairo. If Ruby-GNOME2 project has rcairo, it's
easy to use rcairo's C API in the project.

*IMPORTANT NOTE*: If Cairo wants to have rcairo in Cairo's
repository/distribution, please *reject* this offer.

But there are some problems:

  * Ruby-GNOME2 project has some coding rules. rcairo's API
    will be changed.

    - How to Implement Ruby-GNOME2 - Recommended editors
      http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?How+to+Implement+Ruby-GNOME2#Recommended+editors
    - Naming and Conversion Rules
      http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Naming+and+Conversion+Rules

  * Ruby-GNOME2 project requires LGPL licence but rcairo
    uses Ruby's.

NOTE: I'll support adjusting rcairo to Ruby-GNOME2 project,
if rcairo is included in Ruby-GNOME2 project.

Regards,
--
kou