[cairo] [rcairo] move to Ruby-GNOME2?

Øyvind Kolås pippin at gimp.org
Sun Sep 11 03:15:49 PDT 2005

On 9/11/05, Kouhei Sutou <kou at cozmixng.org> wrote:
> I'm one of the developers of Ruby-GNOME2 project. I want to
> add GDK-Cairo interface support (which is implemented at
> GTK+ 2.8) to Ruby/GTK2 (Ruby bindings for GTK+ 2.x).
>
> To do this, it's convenient that Ruby-GNOME2 project
> includes rcairo. If Ruby-GNOME2 project has rcairo, it's
> easy to use rcairo's C API in the project.
>
> *IMPORTANT NOTE*: If Cairo wants to have rcairo in Cairo's
> repository/distribution, please *reject* this offer.

For usage of rcairo outside Ruby-GNOME2, I think it is beneficial that
project ties to  GTK be kept low. Rcairo is useful in for instance
webapps implemented in ruby. And possibly also together with SDL.

> But there are some problems:
>
>   * Ruby-GNOME2 project has some coding rules. rcairo's API
>     will be changed.

Would this be the c-side API, or the ruby side API? The ruby side API
should adhere as much as possible to the guidelines in
http://www.cairographics.org/manual/language-bindings.html .

Any adjustments needed to accomodate GDK-Cairo interface support in
Ruby-GNOME2 would be most welcome.

>   * Ruby-GNOME2 project requires LGPL licence but rcairo
>     uses Ruby's.

If rcairo remains in cairo|freedesktop CVS, I presume the current
license is no problem since Ruby-GNOME2 already depends on
libraries/code that is under the ruby license?

Thank you for breathing new life in to rcairo,
regards, Øyvind Kolås.

                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/