[cairo] PDF backend starts to get interesting

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Apr 21 09:31:29 PDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:30:24 -0400, "Mike Shaver" wrote:

> On 4/21/06, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
> > All very cool!  Just to throw out a feature request that would be
> > particularly useful for web browsers and other PDF creators using
> > Cairo - support for hyperlinks and forms.  Not sure what the API
> > should look like - links and form controls need a bounding box, some
> > appearance data, and a URL...
>
> This is something that's quite interesting to Firefox, indeed.

Yes, there are lots of interesting things that are desirable here.

We're not planning on touching this kind of thing for the 1.2 release,
but I have been keeping it in the back of my mind for a while.

The trick is going to be coming up with a few, well-selected
PDF-backend-specific functions that provide a bulk of the necessary
functionality. I definitely don't want to provide the be-all and
end-all PDF-generation API, since that would quickly grow to be larger
than the primary API of cairo itself.

(Though if someone did want to work on that API, or knows of something
similar already, then it would make sense to make these new
PDF-backend-specific hooks work well with it. And then, cairo's PDF
backend implementation might even take advantage of this itself).

Fortunately the ability to name and later reference objects in PDF
should come in quite handy here. For starters we might add API to to
allocated an object ID, and API to allow for providing chunks of PDF
to define the objects themselves. What would be left would be the few
hooks to tie object IDs to existing regions/objects already in the PDF
output. Or something like that. Hopefully you get the idea.

I've also spent some time talking to Craig Ringer from the Scribus
project about what its needs are for PDF output. That application has
the wonderful feature of demanding more than any other that I've heard
of being a candidate consumer of cairo's PDF API. So I think if we can
make Scribus happy we'll be able to make most anyone happy.

Hopefully Craig won't mind me quoting below a list of things that
Scribus might need/want in terms of PDF output which he had sent to me
in a private email earlier. Some of things will require more direct
support in cairo than others. And some probably need to be placed much
further down cairo's roadmap than others. But anyway, I think this is
a useful list for starting discussion and starting some API design.

The last time Craig and I talked he said he'd give this some more
thought and try to come back at some point with some more concrete API
suggestions. Any progress on that front, Craig?

-Carl