[cairo] Build problems under Win32/Mingw and Mac OS X 10.3

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sat Aug 12 13:12:46 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 17:54 -0400, Carl Worth wrote:
> >    Xlib:          yes
> >    Xlib Xrender:  no (requires Xrender http://freedesktop.org/Software/xlibs)
>
> Hmm... the above looks like the configure script has gotten more
> fine-grained than the implementation. It's detecting xlib but not
> xlib-xrender, but I think building xlib still requires xrender.

I'll take a look to see if I can make xlib backend work without
xrender...

> BTW, Behdad, I really wouldn't care, (and I might even prefer), if the
> above output said "xlib" rather than "Xlib" and "xlib-xrender" instead
> of "Xlib Xrender". If these lines of output are the only thing causing
> some of the argument bloat in CAIRO_BACKEND_ENABLE then let's drop
> that.

No, the main offender is FreeType which has all different arguments to
CAIRO_BACKEND_ENABLE:

  - "ft": the namespace: cairo_ft_*()

  - "FreeType font": the backend name.

  - "freetype": the enable arg: --enable-freetype

  - "FT_FONT": the feature name: CAIRO_HAVE_FT_FONT

and the recent OS2 thread was suggesting to add yet another argument
used for the env var, which would be:

  - "FREETYPE": the env var prefix: FREETYPE_LIBS/FREETYPE_CFLAGS

I looked into making this happen yesterday, but it was way too much work
so I didn't.  I really like to make sure all the env vars listed in
"configure --help" are uppercase, so I'll do that sometime.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Dan Bern, "New American Language"