[cairo] Re: Plans (and motivation) for moving cairo from CVS to git

Jonathon Jongsma jonathon.jongsma at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 08:05:19 PST 2006

On 2/7/06, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> As for "why git?" I should first point out that at some level git,
> mercurial, and bzr are basically equivalent. Each is built on a
> basically similar model of distributed source code management. This is
> very encouraging in terms of validating the model, and in providing
> assurance that switching from one to another in the future should be
> quite easy.

(This just crossed my mind since I'm at work and thus using Windows)
Since Cairo is a cross-platform library with support for windows, mac,
etc, I suppose some Cairo developers will be using these other
platforms for development.  Do you know whether git can be run on,
say, windows?  A quick check of google seems to suggest that git is
unlikely to work natively on windows, but that it may work with
cygwin.  How big of an issue is this?

(just for comparison, it seems that mercurial would be a bit easier to
get working on Windows:
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/WindowsInstall )

Jonner