[cairo] Maintaining cairo with git (a note on git-mv)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Feb 17 12:59:30 PST 2006

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:05:32 -0500,  wrote:

> Personally I would use Cogito and cg-rm.

One of the great things about using git is that there are multiple
different frontends available. We can all collaborate quite easily
even when some people choose to use git and others prefer cogito, (or
even other things like Stacked GIT[1] or pg[2] that provide quilt-like
patch management within git).

>                                          While it's certainly
> possible to use git by hand, the intent was that other software
> like Cogito would provide the "porcelain".

That's the understanding I had before I really dove in to git/cogito,
and historically that was definitely the case. Bus, as Linus describes
it, git has been growing in convenience as desirable features have
been seen in cogito and have been "pulled down" into git. I think
there are still a few rough edges in the git UI, (like missing
git-rm), but it looks easy enough for me to use, and the maintainers
seem willing to accept well-demonstrated improvements to the UI.

However, there are definitely some different goals driving the two
tools. Petr Baudis (cogito author/maintainer) summarized things well
in two recent posts:

	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=git&m=113996590313352&w=2

	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=git&m=113996712008164&w=2

He touches there on some of the reasons I'm exploring git, (like the
remote branch stuff, where as Keith suggested, perhaps even git itself
doesn't yet do everything we'll want). He also makes it very clear
that cogito is intentionally designed to ease the coming-from-cvs
transition, which is why I suggested it for people that don't want to
have to learn something too new/different.

-Carl

[1] Stacked GIT: http://www.procode.org/stgit/

[2] pg: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=git&m=113960158509924&w=2

cworth at redhat.com