[cairo] Maintaining cairo with git (cvs access possibilities)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Feb 17 16:23:26 PST 2006

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 01:16:25 +0100, "Timon Christl" wrote:

> On 2/17/06, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> > It's official now.
> >
> > I've switched all of my work on cairo from CVS to git. For now, there
> > is no way to commit to the cairo from the cvs client, (but we may be
> > able to set that up soon if using cogito or git would be a
> > deal-breaker for anyone wanting to commit---please let me know).
>
> Will the central git repository still be mirrored to the CVS for the
> time being?

I definitely plan to support at least read-only CVS downloads of the
"trunk" of the central tree indefinitely. (There's no way to
un-publish the CVS download instructions, so I feel its important to
honor them for at least some time.)

Martin Langhoff just happens to be finishing up a CVS server that
reads from a git repository, (I think his tool supports cvs-based
commits too, so it might even be possible to continue to support
that if necessary).

As I understand it, his stuff is working now, and would provide a
working solution for ssh-based cvs access. What's still missing is the
pserver piece, but hopefully that will appear soon.

I'll let you know when we've got cvs-from-git access available.

>             I wouldn't mind learning how to use git, but so far I had
> no luck finding a useable git client for Win32. I don't need commit
> access, I just want to follow development more often than downloading
> stable tarballs.

I've been told it should "just work" to compile git with cygwin,
(perhaps without a couple of tools, but things that certainly wouldn't
be needed for just following development).

If we do start putting a bunch of branches into the central tree, then
eventually cvs-only access to a single line will become quite
uninteresting.