[cairo] Confusion over git-fetch refs

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Feb 20 12:02:54 PST 2006

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 14:15:28 -0800, "Vladimir Vukicevic" wrote:
> On 2/18/06, Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger at web.de> wrote:
> >
> > OK, this broke "git push cairo" for me. Reason: I now have branches
> > vladimir/cairo and cworth/cairo and git-push doesn't like that, I get:
> > $ git push cairo
> > error: src refspec cairo matches more than one.
> > error: src refspec BRANCH_1_0 matches more than one.
> > fatal: unexpected EOF

Oh, that's annoying.

> > The fix:
> > (i.e. adding refs/heads/ to the Push lines)

And that's a pain.

> The problem is that push tail-matches the specified ref in the
> .git/refs dir

That's bizarre... but whatever.

I fixed this by changing my cairo-git-setup-remote script to use -
rather than / as the $user-$branch separator. That seems to make this
problem go away just fine.

I had chosen / originally so that I could clean my tree of someone's
branches by something like:

	rm -r .git/refs/heads/keithp

but it's not any harder (and perhaps a bit safer anyway) to use:

	rm .git/refs/heads/keithp-*

to do the same thing.