[cairo] Confusion over git-fetch refs

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimirv at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 14:15:28 PST 2006

On 2/18/06, Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger at web.de> wrote:
> Carl Worth wrote:
> > Here's one attempt. It does not attempt to identify anything unique,
> > but instead just renames everything, (using $user/ as a prefix). It
> > also ignores all refs ending in origin, (which is what is desired I
> > think).
>
> OK, this broke "git push cairo" for me. Reason: I now have branches
> vladimir/cairo and cworth/cairo and git-push doesn't like that, I get:
> $ git push cairo
> error: src refspec cairo matches more than one.
> error: src refspec BRANCH_1_0 matches more than one.
> fatal: unexpected EOF
>

> The fix:
> $ cat .git/remotes/cairo
> Pull: master:cairo-origin
> Pull: BRANCH_1_0:BRANCH_1_0-origin
> Push: refs/heads/cairo:master
> Push: refs/heads/BRANCH_1_0:BRANCH_1_0
>
> (i.e. adding refs/heads/ to the Push lines)

The problem is that push tail-matches the specified ref in the
.git/refs dir -- so if you have two refs named "foo", but in different
dirs, it'll complain.  A similar problem occurs if you use git-branch
to create a branch; my version seems to create a bases/foo branch for
every foo, pointing to the original branch point.  Specifying the ref
in more detail seems to fix it, as you suggest.

    - Vlad