[cairo] About cairo_show_text and UTF-8...

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 10:34:07 PST 2006

On 1/5/06, Scott Robert Ladd <graphics at coyotegulch.com> wrote:
> Mike Emmel wrote:
> > The system font in cairo does not have those glyphs.
> > Pango uses a collection of fonts to meet the unicode requirements of a string.
>
> Hmmm... perhaps this is something that should be clearer in the
> documentation or Cairo. I assumed that the default Cairo font would be
> the same as the default GTK+ font (which does include these glyphs).
>
> Why the difference in fonts? If Cairo is the rendering agent for GTK+,
> should they be using the same default fonts?

Pango marshals a collection of fonts that will handle all the unicode
chars in a string. cairo is used to draw pieces of the string with the
font that provides the unicode glyphs.
In general no font has all the unicode glyphs so to draw a arbitrary
unicode string you must either have a library like pango or implement
it yourself.

Mike