[cairo] Problems with cairo PDF generation and Mac OS X PDF rendering

Ralph Giles giles at ghostscript.com
Fri Jul 7 21:11:12 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 10:27:08PM -0400, John Ellson wrote:

> Thanks Malcolm and Dominic for identifying this cairo generator issue,
> but I'm
> wondering if I have a graphviz issue as well.   Can you suggest what it
> is that I'm doing
> to get any binary data in the PDF output?

Cairo is compressing the font subset it generates. Since it's a TrueType
font, this is binary data anyway, so compressing it doesn't make the
file that much less readable. This is the only non-ASCII segment.

BTW, Ghostscript does complain about the subset font stream in the file
you attached, so things aren't completely clean. It works around, but
this means cairo isn't spec compliant here (unlike the binary comment
issue, which is just a convention).

   **** Warning: Encoding not present.
   **** Warning: Font Widths array size is smaller than character range.

Note that in PDF 1.5 it's possible to flate compress all those
coordinates, which would save quite a bit of space, but at
the expense of a less human-readable file.

FWIW,
 -r