RFE: support for anchors in PDF and SVG [was Re: [cairo] HOWTO - URLs in PDF output from cairo ?]

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Tue Jul 11 08:54:19 PDT 2006

John Ellson wrote:
> The PDF format permits regions to be designated as clickable with an
> attached URL.
>
> How can I pass these through cairo into PDF output?

Apparently this can't be done with the current API, so I'll rephrase
this as a Request for Enhancement.

    RFE: To extend the Cairo API to emit anchors and clickable areas in
SVG and PDF output formats.

    The API should support: href, title, alt, target, shape, coords.
Backends may not support all of these (or even any of them).
    The coords would be processed by the current transformation matrix
into device coords.
    In SVG the coords would not be used, instead an <a>...</a> would
wrap a group of SVG objects.  (using cairo_save ??)
    In PDF the coords would mark the sensitive region . Minimally
/Rect.  Does PDF support other shapes?  If not
       the /Rect coordinates would be from the bounding-box of the
supplied coordinates.

Comments?

John