[cairo] Where's the bottleneck in using glitz/cairo/librsvg?

David Turner dturner at nds.com
Fri Jun 9 02:16:11 PDT 2006

Hello Mirco, and all Cairo hackers,

I've taken the liberty of using your original "cairo-dock" program to
profile Cairo.
The results have been surprising, and I've been able to identify several
problematic
"low-hanging fruits" that can be relatively easily optimized.

I've then written a patch that optimizes several aspects of Cairo, and
this results
in a global speedup of 22% of your program. I'm not saying that all
Cairo operations
will be accellerated by this amount, or that this is enough to get
decent speed on your
original program, but I though I could share my findings and improvements.

You'll find the patch, the modified program and a lot more information
at the
following page:

  http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/desktop/index.html

I'll try to install 'git' on my machine in order to be able to push the
optimizations through
it in a few days. I believe there are still very important opportunities
for optimization,
but these will require very hard work. And I don't have that much free
time :-)

Hope this helps,

- David Turner

Mirco Müller a écrit :
> Am Donnerstag, den 08.06.2006, 06:27 -0400 schrieb Michael Sweet:
>

>>> As far as I know, Mac OS X's icons are bitmap and nobody questions about
>>> its quality. Simply becasue original size is large enough (128x128), and
>>> they do filtered scaling.
>>>
>> Actually, MacOS X icons are more complex than that - the icns format
>> stores multiple resolutions - 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, and 128x128 - to
>> provide optimal display/scaling at different sizes.
>>

> 	It looks like I will do something like this... my own "mipmap-pyramid"
> just like in plain OpenGL-coding. The only benefit will be that it will
> be generated from SVGs. That in finally really using glitz-surfaces will
> hopefully yield my targetted 60 fps with little to "no" cpu-usage at
> all.
>
> 	Still a pity something like has to be done, although one is using a
> vector-graphics library. But maybe using glitz-surfaces turns out to be
> fast enough to do SVG-painting on the fly... this is what I still hope
> for.
>
> Best regards...
>
> Mirco "MacSlow" Müller

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the postmaster at nds.com and destroy the original message.