[cairo] Cairo 1.0.4 in sight

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Mar 3 16:55:56 PST 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 19:26:38 -0500 (EST), Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> I'm planning for releasing 1.0.4 sometime next week

Thanks Behdad, that will be a great help!

> (or better, make Carl do it ;)).

That---not so much. I think that this is one of those
teach-a-man-to-fish opportunities.

>                                                      Anyway, if
> you have any favorite bits that should have been committed to the
> 1.0 branch but are not, it's time to speak.

And here is some guidance on doing that:

* If you know of some patch you sent to the mailing list or to
  bugzilla, please reply to Behdad's message and point us to
  that. Even if you're unsure if the patch has been applied or not,
  feel free to remind us and we'll sort it out.

* If you want to go the extra step to see what has already been
  committed to the 1.0 branch, then you can see that on the web here:

	Most recent commits to the 1.0 branch
	http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=cairo;a=shortlog;h=1.0

  It should be pretty easy to follow those back until they mention the
  last interesting release, (such as 1.0.2).

  And as we go forward, the author column will be much more useful,
  (that is, if you author a patch and send it in, it will put your
  name there, rather than the name of the committer, which is what we
  get from the old CVS-based commits).

* If you'd like examine the 1.0 branch locally, you can first clone
  the clone repository with:

	git clone git://git.cairographics.org/git/cairo
	cd cairo

  Then switch to the 1.0 branch:

	git checkout 1.0

  At that point, you can see what's been going on within that branch
  with things like:

	git log		# textual description of commits to 1.0 branch
	gitk		# graphical visualization of commits to 1.0 branch

  And you can update to the latest new things by doing:

	git fetch origin

* Finally, if you want to prepare a new feature for the 1.0 branch,
  you would first construct your own branch (my-feature say), based
  off of 1.0:

	git checkout -b my-feature 1.0

  Then, as you work, commit each independent piece you do:

	# hack a bunch
	git commit -a -m "The next piece of my feature"
	# repeat as needed

  And finally, when you have your commits, you can prepare little
  text messages, ready to be mailed with:

	git format-patch 1.0