[cairo] Contributing pyCairoChart

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue May 23 14:18:28 PDT 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006 22:54:22 +0200, Martin Lesser wrote:

> looking for a python-module to create dynamic charts for several weeks
> with no success resulted in creating my own module based on cairo:
>
>   http://bettercom.de/de/pycairochart

Hi Martin,

Thanks for sharing this. The output looks quite fine, (it's refreshing
to see grid lines that are properly snapped to the device-pixel grid).
And the API looks pretty easy to use too.

I have one question about the API though. I see that you currently
create a chart object with something like:

	img = CairoChart.Chart(width=330, height=250, ...)

and then later render it to a PNG image with:

	img.out2png('cairochart01.png')

The convenience of rendering to a PNG is nice, but do you also have a
means to render everything to a cairo context created in the standard
pycairo way? It would be quite desirable for your library to be able
target any cairo backend (PDF, SVG, etc.) without requiring specific
support in your library for that.

-Carl

PS. It would be good for you to make a mention of your software on the
cairographics.org wiki, (at http://cairographics.org/examples
perhaps). In fact, it might make sense to make a whole section for
plot/chart/graph-making things. Other things I'm aware of include the
python-based matplotlib:

	http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

which can render through cairo (in addition to many other
backends). And an another perl-based cairo charting thing I just
learned of named clicker.

	http://www.onemogin.com/clicker/