[cairo] RE: You have been unsubscribed from the cairo-announce mailing list

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Nov 2 21:52:44 PST 2006

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 21:37:15 -0800, Nathaniel Gray wrote:
> No problem.  It's clear you were just trying to do right.  I'm mostly
> annoyed at having to subscribe to post.  I know the spam situation
> leaves few other options, but it's become a real obstacle.  I can't tell
> you how many bugs I've not reported or how many problems I've left
> unsolved because I didn't want to do the subscribe, mark-no-delivery,
> get-folks-to-CC dance yet another time.

I understand completely. I'm also exceedingly annoyed by
subscribe-to-post and it pained me to enable that for cairo's lists. I
know it must discourage lots of useful messages coming through and
that's a tragedy.

I know that a few mailing lists, (linux kernel and git for example),
run without requiring subscription. What they do instead is install
lots of spam filters and then those end up eating useful messages
which get mis-diagnosed as spam. (Some recent messages to the git list
came through with mangled URLs in them just so the sender could get
past the mail filters. That was pretty painful too.)

> This is something that Mailman could make a lot easier, BTW.  If they
> got on board some kind of web-of-trust type of identity management
> system it would solve the problem for just about every project I care about.

I'd be happy enough to just allow any signed message to come through
the list regardless of subscription status. I don't think I've ever
seen any signed spam. I also don't think that exists as an easy option
to click in the current mailman interface we have.

> Thanks!  Keep up the good work on Cairo!

Thanks, and have fun with it,