[cairo] RE: You have been unsubscribed from the cairo-announce mailing list

Nathaniel Gray n8gray at caltech.edu
Thu Nov 2 21:37:15 PST 2006

Carl Worth wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:52:30 -0800, Nathaniel Gray wrote:
>> I recently got the message below telling me that I'm unsubscribed from
>> cairo-announce.  The problem is, I'm not *truly* subscribed to the main
>> cairo list -- I've disabled delivery from that list.  Why?  Because in
>> our wonderful modern world one needs to be subscribed to a list in order
>> just to *post* to that list, even if one has no interest in following
>> the list on a daily basis.
>
> Ah, I wondered if my automated unsubscribing might cause a problem
> like this. For anyone that it did, (not that I'm able to reach them
> with this mail), please re-subscribe and accept my apologies.

No problem.  It's clear you were just trying to do right.  I'm mostly
annoyed at having to subscribe to post.  I know the spam situation
leaves few other options, but it's become a real obstacle.  I can't tell
you how many bugs I've not reported or how many problems I've left
unsolved because I didn't want to do the subscribe, mark-no-delivery,
get-folks-to-CC dance yet another time.

This is something that Mailman could make a lot easier, BTW.  If they
got on board some kind of web-of-trust type of identity management
system it would solve the problem for just about every project I care about.

>> actually care about right now.  So if I re-subscribe to cairo-announce
>> is a robot going to unsubscribe me again or will I be left in peace? ;^)
>
> Nothing will automatically unsubscribe you. I should have checked for
> disabled delivery and excluded such addresses when I generated the
> list of addresses to delete. I even thought of doing that, but
> couldn't find an easy way to get the mailman command-line tools to
> give me that information.
>
> Oh, and if I can find a way for mailman to generate such a list I can
> easily go back and re-subscribe all affected addresses.
>
>> PS:  If it's not obvious by now, please CC me with replies.
>
> Hehe. Done. And I even went through the subscription process for your
> address, so you won't need to do that.

Thanks!  Keep up the good work on Cairo!

Cheers,
-n8