[cairo] libXext missing?

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 21:54:47 PST 2006

Hello,

I'm experimenting with cross-platform graphics libraries.
Out of curiosity, I just went through the bother of compiling Cairo
and all its dependancies on an OS X machine.  (I already know it works
on Linux, but I wanted to see the current state of Mac support.)

I just wanted to report that everything went well with the appropriate
configure parameters (--enable-atsui --enable-quartz), except that in
the linking stage I got the following error:

ld: Undefined symbols:
_XMissingExtension
_XextAddDisplay
_XextFindDisplay
_XextRemoveDisplay
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed

I resolved the problem quickly by manually adding "-lXext" after all
instances of "-lXrender" in the generated src/Makefile.

I'm sure there's a better solution in configure.ac, but I just wanted
to report this easily-fixed dependancy issue in case the Cairo
developers want to fix it.

I did this with cairo-1.2.6, released a few days ago.  Apologies for
not trying first on the source-controlled version before posting, for
all I know it could already be fixed.

Steve