[cairo] libXext missing?

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2006d at ryandesign.com
Tue Nov 14 19:37:23 PST 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 16:49, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>> I'm experimenting with cross-platform graphics libraries.
>> Out of curiosity, I just went through the bother of compiling Cairo
>> and all its dependancies on an OS X machine.  (I already know it
>> works
>> on Linux, but I wanted to see the current state of Mac support.)
>>
>> I just wanted to report that everything went well with the
>> appropriate
>> configure parameters (--enable-atsui --enable-quartz), except that in
>> the linking stage I got the following error:
>>
>> ld: Undefined symbols:
>> _XMissingExtension
>> _XextAddDisplay
>> _XextFindDisplay
>> _XextRemoveDisplay
>> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
>>

>> I resolved the problem quickly by manually adding "-lXext" after all
>> instances of "-lXrender" in the generated src/Makefile.
>>
>> I'm sure there's a better solution in configure.ac, but I just wanted
>> to report this easily-fixed dependancy issue in case the Cairo
>> developers want to fix it.
>
> AFAIK cairo doesn't directly use those symbols, and on my Linux
> machine
> it doesn't even seem to require that library at all.  So, it's
> probably
> some other library's (xrender's?) misconfiguration.  What's the output
> of 'pkg-config --libs xrender'?

Well, pkg-config is not part of Mac OS X (as of 10.4.8).

$ pkg-config --libs xrender
-bash: pkg-config: command not found

These seem to be the only .pc files on a Mac OS X system. No xrender.pc.

$ locate .pc | grep '\.pc$'
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gimpprint.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libexslt.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libxml-2.0.pc