[cairo] libXext missing?

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2006d at ryandesign.com
Tue Nov 14 23:09:10 PST 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 23:52, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 21:37 -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Nov 14, 2006, at 16:49, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>>
>>> AFAIK cairo doesn't directly use those symbols, and on my Linux
>>> machine it doesn't even seem to require that library at all.  So,
>>> it's probably some other library's (xrender's?) misconfiguration.
>>> What's the output of 'pkg-config --libs xrender'?
>>
>> Well, pkg-config is not part of Mac OS X (as of 10.4.8).
>>
>> $ pkg-config --libs xrender
>> -bash: pkg-config: command not found
>>
>> These seem to be the only .pc files on a Mac OS X system. No
>> xrender.pc.
>
> Oh!  Didn't know cairo can be compiled without pkg-config on some
> systems.  I made it err at configure time if pkg-conif gis not
> available.  Is it too much to expect pkg-config?  In this case
> though it
> doesn't seem to solve the problem since you don't have a xrender.pc
> file.  If pkg-config xrender fails, cairo falls back to using -
> lxrender
> to link to xrender, which seems not enough in your case.

When I build cairo for use in my graphviz binaries for Mac OS X, I
also build pkg-config, because it seemed necessary. It of course
isn't able to learn anything about xrender since Mac OS X includes no
xrender.pc.

$ /usr/local/graphviz-2.9/bin/pkg-config --libs xrender
Package xrender was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xrender.pc'
No package 'xrender' found

I originally wanted my graphviz package to be totally self-contained,
but I currently require the X11 OS package to be installed (which
isn't usually) because that contains xrender. I thought about
building xrender myself, but xrender seems to require the rest of X.

Ideally of course I would build cairo without X (since that's weird
for Mac OS X users) and use quartz and atsui instead (which is more
natural). I'll get right on that in fact as soon as there's a cairo
1.3 snapshot. :-P

Something I've always wanted to know about cairo but have been afraid
to ask: supposing I manage to configure and compile cairo to use
quartz and atsui, and graphviz uses cairo, how do I know that quartz
and atsui are being used instead of whatever it's using now? Should
the output look different? Should it be faster? Slower?

(n.b.: I'm not the original poster; I just wanted to jump in here
with this information about no pkg-config on Mac OS X.)