[cairo] Strange execute bits appearing for cairo source files

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Nov 21 15:19:14 PST 2006

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:27:44 -0800, "Daniel Amelang" wrote:
> Jorn's latest post made me realize that I've been sitting on a bunch
> of potentially useful FP patches for too long. Time to send them off,
> warts and all. First up:

I already said thanks in the latest of your message, but thanks again
here. The patch looks fine.

The fact that it is base65 encoded is a bit of a nuisance, (gmail's
fault?), but I got past that easily enough. The patch also failed due
to apply cleanly due to a recent addition of some (int) casts in
cairo-win32-surface.c. Also, easy enough to get past.

But because the patch failed I got to notice the following which I
would have missed otherwise:

	warning: src/cairo-win32-surface.c has type 100644, expected 100755

This can be seen in the patch content as:

	> diff --git a/src/cairo-win32-surface.c b/src/cairo-win32-surface.c
	> index 7aeb256..118c885 100755

So it looks like you've got an execute bit set on that file. It
doesn't appear that the patch is trying to change the bit, so that's
fine enough.

But it prompted me to check, and I found that I've got an executable
bit set on src/cairo-scaled-font.c. That's easy to track down to the
following:

	commit 5ab72579ef2a9fce1aedf3068825ccba683b6e79
	Author: Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir at pobox.com>
	Date:   Sat Sep 9 19:52:48 2006 -0700

	    Correctly acquire/release mutex in _cairo_scaled_font_map_destroy

	    _cairo_scaled_font_map_destroy needs to both lock/unlock the mutex,
	    not just unlock it.

	diff --git a/src/cairo-scaled-font.c b/src/cairo-scaled-font.c
	old mode 100644
	new mode 100755

Where are these execute bits coming from, and can we easily fix
whatever bug is introducing them?