[cairo] Flag for FP-challenged platforms

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Nov 30 12:51:54 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 14:40 -0500, Carl Worth wrote:

> I mean, we're talking about cairo wanting to select between different
> code paths based on their performance characteristics. Why not just
> have the build system compile, run, and measure both rather than
> making the user decide?
>
> Insane?

I'm all for it.  lets not clutter cairo's configure with gazillions of
--enable options that most people don't even care about.  I'm all for
trying to figure out which way to take using heuristics, and let people
override it using the cache file.  Those who ever need to override it
know what they are doing afterall, right?

As for the heuristics, these come to mind:

  - Running and measuring.  The least predictable, and doesn't work with
most cross-compiling scenarios.

  - Switching on the host and other features that autoconf already knows
about and/or our own observations.  Easy and predictable.  People will
send in patches if it doesn't work for their scenario.

  - Get CPU flags by way of /proc/cpuinfo or other means, ad see if an
fpu is available.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/