[cairo] ATSUI?

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2006c at ryandesign.com
Mon Oct 2 08:56:26 PDT 2006

I've been reading many messages on the list lately about how cairo
only contains a minimal text API for playing around and for anything
"real" one should use ATSUI on Mac or Uniscribe on Windows or Pango
on anything else.

How does cairo's --enable-atsui option relate to this? Does cairo
only use ATSUI in the toy text API then, or is this option still
applicable somehow if I'm also using Pango?

I am building cairo (and Pango) as part of my pre-compiled Graphviz
packages for Mac OS X and would like it to be as fast as possible and
to make use of as many native text facilities of OS X as possible.
Should I be using --enable-atsui?