[Fwd: Re: [cairo] Missing const in cairo API ?]

Damien Carbonne aetdcarbonne at free.fr
Wed Oct 4 13:28:37 PDT 2006

Carl Worth a écrit :
> On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 22:04:49 +0200,Damien Carbonne wrote:
>
>> I understand opaque as private. If this is correct, it is only related
>> to implementation hiding.
>>

> Yes, but as soon as the implementation is hidden, then all the utility
> of a "const foo*" goes away, (as far as the compiler is concerned).

Agree. And this is true in all languages I know when indirections are used.
>>  From the specification viewpoint, thinking of opaque/private types as
>> ADT, it is perfectly possible to define, in the contract (API), the
>> possible "user visible" effects that any function may have on the object.
>>

> Yes, I agree. But C doesn't help us much here, so I think we're better
> to just explaining these kinds of things in the documentation, rather
> than trying to use const for something other than it is defined to be.

Agree
>> If I say that an object can not be modified by a function, it only means
>> that I tell the compiler that it can make the assumption that the result
>> of this function only depends on the values of its input parameters.
>> This assumption is still true if I use a cache.
>>

> It's not just caches though. There are also nested objects, (for
> example cairo_t which contains a pointer to a cairo_surface_t). And
> the definition of const doesn't affect this. For example, consider
> this piece of code for which "gcc -W -Wextra" emits no warnings:
>
> 	struct inner { int val; };
> 	struct outer { struct inner *inner; };
>
> 	void
> 	modify_inner (const struct outer *outer)
> 	{
> 	    outer->inner->val = 42;
> 	}

Agree. But as I tried to explain, if this has a user visible side
effect, then const should not be used. And yes, the compiler is of no
help here.
> That's basically the same case as cairo_t containing a pointer to a
> cairo_surface_t. So, if you take a simple function such as cairo_fill,
> obviously it's a function that's modifying things, (since it is
> changing the results on the destination surface), but according to the
> rules of const in C, we could legitimately use "const cairo_t*" in
> that function. Now, clearly that would be useless.

As there is a user visible side effect, and even if the compiler
accepted const in that case without complaining, I would certainly not
require the use of const.
> We could invent a more restricted rule for applying const to fewer
> functions than the compiler would let us get away with, but I would
> regard that as an abusive overriding of that keyword, and would
> instead just argue for getting this kind of information into the
> documentation.
>

>> If I try to create an Ada binding, it's because I find this library
>> quite interesting, useful and of quality.
>>

> I'm quite glad you do.
>

>> But this may be insufficient. For example, it's not because current
>> implementation of cairo_status has no "user visible" side effect (as
>> defined before), that it will never have. Simply because there is no const.
>> So my initial question was only about identification of those "user
>> visible" side effects.
>>

> As I said above, I don't think const is the right answer
> here. Instead, all user-visible side effects should be clearly
> described in the documentation (that's what the documentation is there
> for). But if the documentation is not clear on any of these, then we
> can improve it.
>
> And any guarantee in the documentation about a function not modifying
> an object is just as binding on future cairo development as would be
> "const" in the parameter list.
>
> From a quick scan of the functions in cairo.h here are the functions
> that I see that accept a cairo_t* parameter and are guaranteed not to
> modify it:
>
> 	cairo_in_stroke, cairo_in_fill, cairo_stroke_extents,
> 	cairo_fill_extents, cairo_clip_extents,
> 	cairo_copy_clip_rectangles, cairo_text_extents,
> 	cairo_glyph_extents, cairo_copy_path, cairo_copy_path_flat,
> 	cairo_status, and all functions matching cairo_get_*.

Thanks, that is what I want to know.
> I could generate more such lists, but I hope the documentation is
> clear on this already, (and if it's not, let's fix that).
>

>> I agree that a compiler can hardly check an ADT contract when internal
>> pointers are used.
>> Is it because such checks can be guaranteed with simple structures
>> (e.g., cairo_matrix, ...) that const is used with them ?
>>

> With simple structures, the user can declare objects as const and can
> safely share the values, or even have the data stored in
> non-modifiable locations, (such as string literals stored in the code
> space).
>
> So the const keyword has user-visible benefit where the user might
> actually declare a const object.
>
> -Carl

Globally I understand your explanations.
Thanks a lot for the time spent with my questions.

Damien