[cairo] Cairo and Ruby on rails

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2006d at ryandesign.com
Mon Oct 23 11:07:57 PDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 00:16, Johannes de Jong wrote:

> I'm not sure how my craphics will perform either. At the moment I
> use css/div's and small jpegs to make up one massive "drawing", it
> does not perform at all. So I'm looking at ways to improve drawing
> of the image.

How would you make use of cairo to draw in a web page anyway? Would
you have a cairo plugin that the user would have to install in the
browser first or what's the idea here?

Or are you talking about a server-side cairo installation that
delivers PNGs to the browser?

Have you considered using the browser's canvas element? This is
available in current versions of Firefox, Opera and Safari and, with
a little JavaScript from the good folks at Google, in Internet
Explorer for Windows as well. An excellent tutorial:

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Canvas_tutorial

The JavaScript to make it work in Windows IE:

http://excanvas.sourceforge.net/

> Do you know if cairo will allow me to make my drawing interactive,
> something like this : http://www.graphviz.org/webdot/hnodes.html

Presumably if you wanted the level of interactivity afforded by using
webdot, you'd just use webdot. Do you want something more interactive
than webdot? In what ways? Or are you not interested in Graphviz-
style graphs, but more general drawing?