[cairo] PDF backend and fonts

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Sep 18 06:00:01 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 13:19 +0200, Andreas Steichardt wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a few questions concerning the PDF backend.
>
> As far as i know the PDF backend currently always transforms text to paths.
> This works fine but the resulting PDFs are very huge.
>
> I am missing two features:
>
> - usage of the core PDF fonts

Consistency of the set of available fonts across different surface types
is pretty important. So I very much doubt there would be an option to
let the user specify the core PDF fonts directly; the specification
would have to be for a font on the system.

At the embedding stage, it might be possible to recognize the URW fonts
corresponding to the core PDF fonts and avoid embedding them.

					- Owen