git setup (was: [cairo] [cairo-announce] cairo release 1.4.4 now available)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Apr 20 12:11:02 PDT 2007

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:04:02 +0200, "Peter Weilbacher (Mozilla)" wrote:
> Hmm, the commit contains the username and machine instead of
> a usable email address. Any idea how I screwed up my git setup
> to do that and what I have to do to fix it?

That's the git default behavior. You can change it for the current
repository with:

	git config user.email you at example.com

or for your current user account with:

	git config --global user.email you at example.com

I'm not sure which versions of git support those commands, (I think
"git config --global" is more-or-less recent). The first command
basically just drops the following block into .git/config, (which you
could definitely do manually for any version of git):

	[user]
		email = you at example.com

The --global version drops the same block into ~/.gitconfig, (but
ancient versions of git didn't know to look there I think).

I hope that helps,