[cairo] Cairo on embedded device

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Aug 7 13:39:02 PDT 2007

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 21:49:31 +0200, Torsten Mohr wrote:
> How is this seen from licensing point of view?  I hesitate to use
> Cairo in a project because L-GPL forces me to _not_ link statically
> and to supply anybody who wants them with object files.

I think you should read the LGPL more closely. In section 6 you are
given 5 options and you are only required to do at least one of
them. Not linking statically is option (b) "Use a suitable shared
library mechanism". But you're not forced to do that. Supplying object
code is part of option (a) "Accompany the work with...object code
and/or source code, so that the user can modify the Library and then
relink to produce a modified executable containing the modified
Library."

So option (a) does not exclude static linking anyway I can read it,
(as long as you provide the user with enough to relink a modified
version of cairo to produce the modified executable).

> Did i miss something regarding the license?  I'd be glad to be able
> to use Cairo in a project and link it statically without getting into
> trouble afterwards.

Did you miss that cairo is made available under either the LGPL
(version 2.1) or the MPL (version 1.1), at your choice?

Some people find the terms of the MPL to be easier to work with
through "file-level granularity" rather than "library-level
granularity" of the requirement to release source code of
modifications to cairo itself.

But as always, please consult the licenses themselves for the actual
details.