[cairo] Holiday cleanup

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Dec 27 18:58:41 PST 2007

Hello cairo hackers,

Hope you are enjoying your holidays.  While trying to keep a short list
of cairo bugs I want to track down and fix, I thought I write a message
and remind everyone that we are planning for a 1.6 release around the
end of Jan or early Feb.  That means, we need to start fixing
regressions...

I'd like to ask everyone to start running the test suite again, and
report/fix what's not working.  I personally have found that the xlib
and pdf backends are performing quite bad for a while.  Lets tight them
up again.

Here are three issues I want to fix, but would love to see someone beat
me to it:

  - cairo-pdf font metrics issue with bitmap fonts.  See my mail to the
list earlier this month.  This provokes a bigger question of what should
we do with bitmap fonts in vector (and possibly other) backends?
Ideally we should scale them.  (a side but related note, I think Pango
should be made to skip bitmap fonts if metrics hinting is turned off.
Owen, does that make sense to you?)

  - The fallback code in cairo_scaled_font_show_glyphs() still uses the
format from the first glyph as the mask.  So, it may end up using an A1
mask where some glyphs are in fact A8.  Should be made to simply
"upgrade" the mask upon seeing a wider glyph.  If doing that, maybe I
fix xlib to do the same.  Right now with my fix to xlib, it breaks up
glyphs into runs of the same format.  That may result in slightly
different results than rendering all glyphs to the same mask first.

  - This one is very weird.  Try opening the following PDF in evince
with cairo master:

  http://gnome.org/~behdad/irs.pdf

That's all for now.  What are some issues you want to fix for 1.6?

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759