[cairo] Holiday cleanup

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Dec 27 23:10:07 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 23:12 -0500, Sasha Kovar wrote:
> .-- Behdad Esfahbod:
> | That's all for now.  What are some issues you want to fix for 1.6?
>
> Hi.  I'd like to resurrect an old thread [1] on the default units used when
> writing SVGs.

I've not read that thread.  Not sure what the conclusion is.  I leave it
to Emmanuel to decide if this is something we should fix.

> In my work, i read in SVGs via librsvg, and write them out again using
> cairo's svg surface.  With the current behavior of the svg tag specifying
> the units in points, the output files render at a different size than the
> originals I read in, which seems counterintuitive, and is a problem for me.
>
> While the correct solution may be as Emmanuel Pacaud describes, allowing the
> user to specify the units used, a simpler solution that at least respects
> the default svg unit of pixels would be a welcome stopgap.

But there's no such physical unit as a pixel.  Points are well-defined,
as a 1/72 of an inch.  Not so for pixels.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759