[cairo] Compile Mac OS X universal binary of cairo

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 03:38:48 PST 2007

On 06/02/07, Ryan Schmidt <cairo-2007a at ryandesign.com> wrote:
> Can I cross-compile cairo? I'm running into problems.
>
> I would like to compile a Mac OS X universal binary (a binary
> containing both Intel and PowerPC code) of Graphviz. To do this, I
> first need to compile universal binaries of some other software,
> including cairo.
[snip]
> There is another more-complicated way to make a universal binary:
> configure once with -arch i386 and make, then configure again with -
> arch ppc and make again, then combine the two sets of object files
> with the lipo program. This presumes that cairo can be cross-compiled
> at all. But I would like to avoid this more-complicated method if at
> all possible.

I asked Vlad about this on IRC a while back, since I'd started
building on intel and cairo needs to be compatible with the (ppc only)
10.3.9 sdk, and I hit the same problem. He said that the moz build
system used magic to do it.... eventually I got cross compiling (but
not universal builds) much as you did above by following through the
moz process.

Mozilla's universal builds use lipo, because, afaik, you *need* to use
lipo if you're building for a different sdk on the two platforms.
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Mac_OS_X_Universal_Binaries

In short, I don't think anyone is doing universal builds of cairo without lipo.

-Baz