[cairo] Compile Mac OS X universal binary of cairo

Daniel Amelang daniel.amelang at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 00:17:35 PST 2007

On 2/6/07, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
> ...(especially when we are only talking about 3
> lines of preprocessor directives in one file...)

So that's the core of the issue. 3 lines of preprocessor for this
platform today, then Apple changes hardware again and we've got to
update the code. Then other platform does something crazy (like ARM)
and now we're adding some more. And since we're using compiler symbols
to detect features, we better hope that Apple (or whoever) doesn't
move to a different compiler suite, cause then we'd need the symbols
on that toolchain as well. It makes you want to write some system to
automatically detect all this for us, especially so other FLOSS
projects could benefit, too, so they don't have to each reproduce the
same code.

Obviously we already have a mechanism for handling all this
automatically. It's hard to abandon it and go back without a really
good reason. So, I'm just not sure that "we just don't want to use
lipo" is that compelling. But that's just me, and it's really late, so
I'll sleep on it.

Dan