[cairo] Image scaling performance on X

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue Feb 27 14:37:43 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 14:12 -0500, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Eric Anholt wrote:
> > It's up to applications that care to do
> > timings and find alternative methods if Render performance isn't up to
> > their needs.
>
> Sure.  That's all I want too -- in this case the entity using Render is cairo,
> so it would make sense for cairo to do this.
>
> Or are you suggesting that any cairo consumer suffering from performance issues
> due to Render should write their own separate cairo surface implementation and
> use it instead of cairo_xlib_surface?  That doesn't seem like the way to go...

Often one can use cairo image surfaces to avoid some of the pain of
unaccelerated paths hit in the xlib surface.  However, many developers
(and I would include myself here) argue that we shouldn't add extra code
to applications to work around these temporary performance problems when
we're expecting to get those paths accelerated soon.  Otherwise, where's
our pressure to improve?

For example, right now cairo still doesn't use the server's Render
gradients support.  So, patches are going in for software gradients
improvements in cairo, but not in the X Server.  And some of us working
on drivers have pushed gradients acceleration lower in our priority
lists because they aren't getting used yet.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com