OpenGL backend (was Re: [cairo] Create a new backend)

Jeremy L. Moles jeremy at emperorlinux.com
Tue Jan 30 15:04:35 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 00:14 +0100, Johannes Schmidt wrote:
> On Montag 29 Januar 2007, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 17:46 -0500, Johannes Schmidt wrote:
> > > My question is:
> > > * Is there any possibility that a new backend (OpenGL) gets into
> > > official
> > > cairo (marked as experimental, of course)?
> >
> > Sure.  It's quite easy to do that if the backend in question is
> > justified.  From what you describe, it sounds interesting.  Why don't
> > you just show us the patch and let decide?
>
> Well, I'm not familiar with git and need to get used to it to provide
> patches ...
> Furthermore, I have to clean up the code a little bit.
> But I hope that I can send a patch this week-end.

I'm doing something similar with OpenSceneGraph and PixeBufferObjects.
Basically, cairo renders on a image surface which is actually a PBO
region...

Out of curiosity, is the same approach you've taken?

(P.S, I gave up on a glitz a long time ago myself. :) There are some
posts here from me about it going back and forth, but it eventually
became to difficult to integrate with existing toolkits, such as SDL
(which I eventually managed) and OSG. I'm smarter now, so I could
probably rather easily do the context switching and use glitz--which I
knew nothing about back then--but my current setup is pretty scalable,
and widely supported... inasmuch as Cairo is widely supported. :))