[cairo] Re: Mark cairo_fixed_t conversion functions with attribute(const)

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Mar 21 11:26:35 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 14:12 -0400, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 17:51 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > The cairo_fixed_t conversion functions look apt for the const attribute
> > as they only operate on their parameters and do not touch memory. They
> > also look suitable for inlining should anyone have any profile data
> > suggesting it would be a win...
>
> You're producing some really interesting looking patches, but I don't
> see any proof that there are performance improvements.  I believe there
> are, but I like to see hard numbers!  Can you run cairo-perf-diff?

Well, meet Chris Wilson :).

He's amazing at janitorial work.  This kind of work typically improves
code quality without necessarily having measurable effects right now.
For example, for past few days, he's been working on improving cairo's
error handling.  That's a very valuable work since people typically
don't like doing this kind of mud work, and normally we would have to
find and plug those holes one at a time when enough bug reports come in
to let us find out where there is one...

Maybe I'm just too purist myself...  (which I am)

> Ross

Cheers,
--
behdad