[cairo] Cairo on Mac OS X 10.3.9

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Mar 26 03:56:04 PDT 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:43:05 +0100, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> > 	ACLOCAL_FLAGS=/path/to/directory/containing/pkg.m4 ./autogen.sh
> I set it with the traditional PATH implementation;
>
> ACLOCAL_FLAGS=$PATH:/dir/:/another/dir/ in my .bashrc file.

Oops. Looks like we both made the same mistake above.

ACLOCAL_FLAGS, (annoyingly enough), does not use anything like the
traditional path implementation. Look closer at the very first
occurrence above and notice the extra "-I " at the beginning.

-Carl

PS. And would someone out there please be kind enough to go hack
several projects so that we can eliminate a bunch of these variables?
Here's what I'd love to see, (but I'm too lazy to do the work):

	PREFIXES=/usr:/usr/local:/opt/whatever:etc.

and all software possible looking at this variable first and deriving
its own variations of the prefixes. That is:

* shells would consult PREFIXES and then look for binaries in
  $prefix/bin for each directory (/usr/bin, /usr/local/bin,
  /opt/whatever/bin, etc.)

* The linker would look in $prefix/lib

* pkg-config would look in $prefix/lib/pkgconfig

* autoconf would look in $prefix/lib/share/aclocal

* python would look in $prefix/lib/python$version/site-packages

* mozilla would look in $prefix/lib/$mozilla-project-name/plugins

etc. etc.

All of the existing variables, (PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH), PKG_CONFIG_PATH, ACLOCAL_FLAGS, PYTHONPATH,
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH, etc.), would continue to exist and work in the
absence of PREFIXES pointing to a satisfying directory.

That would be a very convenient thing.