[cairo] Cairo on Mac OS X 10.3.9

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2007a at ryandesign.com
Sat Mar 24 14:55:25 PDT 2007

> Yeah, I am using bash. I set that variable there in the first place
> since when
> I hear the words "environment variable" in regards to a shell
> script I assume they
> mean in the shell. I set it with the traditional PATH implementation;
>
> ACLOCAL_FLAGS=$PATH:/dir/:/another/dir/ in my .bashrc file.
>
> And I set it like this on the command line: ACLOCAL_FLAGS=/dir/ and
> neither
> worked. This is why I am unclear where I should set it. I am not in
> front of
> the Apple machine right now so I can't read the script to see if it
> drops one
> into another shell or if the script uses ksh, csh, tcsh (which is
> the default
> under OS X) or what. I will look a little more closely and report
> back.

The default shell on Mac OS X has been bash since 10.3.0:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86135&coll=cp

However, your user account will still use tcsh if it was originally
created in Mac OS X 10.0 thru 10.2 and you then updated to a new OS.

I'm not having any trouble compiling cairo on Mac OS X 10.4.9, and I
haven't needed to set ACLOCAL_FLAGS. My pkg-config is, however, in
the same prefix where I'm building cairo. The variables I'm setting are:

MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 (you'll want 10.3 here) PATH="/my/
prefix/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin"
CFLAGS="-I/my/prefix/include -I/usr/X11R6/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/my/prefix/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib"
PGK_CONFIG_PATH="/my/prefix/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig"

And then I configure with --prefix=/my/prefix

I am using bash, so all I do to set the environment variables is, e.g.,

VAR1=foo VAR2=bar ./configure --prefix=baz

I don't know how it works on tcsh anymore. You may need "setenv VAR1
foo" "setenv VAR2 bar" etc. on separate lines before you run configure.

I haven't tried compiling on 10.3.x myself, but I hope this helps get
you on your way.