[cairo] Debugging cairo-related X hangs

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu May 3 10:04:13 PDT 2007

Recently, I've been running into numerous hangs in the X server while running
cairo-based Gecko builds (things like print preview, lots of very simple SVG
pages, etc).

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out a way to debug these.  Even
running with -sync, a profiler (I've tried several) just shows X using the time,
without the callstack coming back into Gecko code...

The problem is compounded by the fact that folks with newer X versions (I have
the one that comes with Fedora Core 4) don't see the problem, which means the
Fedora and X people aren't going to spend time on it.

Does anyone have any idea how we could get to the bottom of what's going on
here?  Fedora may not care about FC4 users, but those of us shipping cairo-based
applications sort of have to.  :(

Thanks in advance,
-Boris