[cairo] Plans for 1.6?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Nov 27 13:13:33 PST 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:54:55 -0800, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> Mozilla's been following 1.5.x development closely with our tree, and
> we'd like to converge on a 1.6 release.  From our end, I think that
> we're generally pretty happy with the state of cairo right now; there
> are a few specific things missing, such as lack of CAIRO_EXTEND_PAD
> for surface patterns.

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for starting the discussion.

> We'll have a b2 release in about 3 weeks, and
> will be aiming for a b3 at the end of January/early February.  It
> would be great if we could get in a 1.6 release in early to mid
> January (or a 1.6.1) so that linux distros who plan to link Firefox
> with the system-provided cairo version could plan for the upgrade.

Sounds great.

> What are the outstanding projects/features still planned for 1.6?
> Would be good to figure this out before things start winding down for
> the holidays.

EXTEND_PAD definitely. Also, the rest of the "goofy X server visuals"
work, (meaning support for mask-based format compositing in pixman and
probably taking the pseudocolor patch for cairo). Then also fixing
pixman to handle A8 masks with a stride that is not a multiple of 4.

I think that's the short required list. There are tons of other
projects/features that might happen if they happen to get done, (24.8
would be great for example), but I don't think there's much else that
should block the release.