[cairo] <text> support in the SVG backend

Emmanuel Pacaud emmanuel.pacaud at lapp.in2p3.fr
Sat Oct 6 09:48:41 PDT 2007

Hi,

Le mardi 02 octobre 2007 à 20:07 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
> So, how does my proposed show_text_glyphs() api look?  Do you have any
> implementation plans for SVG?  Mind writing a summary of font/text
> support in SVG so we all learn?

I'm sorry, I don't have currently enough time or energy to learn enough
of the SVG text rendering model and to study your proposal, which would
help me to provide a meaningfull feedback.

Anyway, it looks like your show_text_glyphs API proposal provides enough
information in order to emit an acceptable SVG code, even if we loose a
lot of the pango context informations.

The SVG backend will probably produce something like:

<text x="X" y="Y" fill="COLOR" font-family="FAMILY"
font-style="STYLE" ...>
<tspan dx="DX0 DX1 DX2 DX3" dy="DY0 DY1 DY2 DY3">
text
</tspan>
</text>

The use of tspan dx and dy properties is suboptimal, but will ensure a
correct glyph positioning using SVG renderer that support them (which is
sadly not the case of librsvg, for example).

	Emmanuel.

--
Emmanuel PACAUD
Groupe Virgo