[cairo] Cairo working on OpenVMS

Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl
Mon Oct 15 02:05:46 PDT 2007

Hi all,

After some years (sic!!!) of struggling I finaly got my port of cairo
working on my OpenVMS system (I do not know what did the trick (1) the new
pixman library, (2)the changes in cairo during the summer, (3) a compiler
update on OpenVMS).

I had to make a few minor (trivial) changes. I placed them on my web-site:
   http://nchrem.tnw.tudelft.nl/openvms/software1.html#CAIRO
It contains a patch against the version I extracted with git last friday.
Some explenation on the added/changed files :
   Added
       descrip.mms (in several directories) : OpenVMS equivalents of makefiles
       config.h_vms  : config.h file for OpenVMS
       src/cairo-features.h_vms : feature file for OpenVMS
       src/ANALYZE_MAP.COM : command script to help create shareable images
              (OpenVMS equivalent of .so files )

   Changed :
       src/*.c : All the cairo-mutex variables are only declared extenal. This
                 results in "unresolved externals" during linking. I added
		 for each a "non-external" definition.
       boilerplate/cairo-boilerplate-ps.c : On VMS gs has to be called in a
                 special way to allow uppercase characters in the command
                 options
       test/get-path-extents.c : OpenVMS does not have the round function. On
                 OpenVMS it now uses nint instead.

 The OpenVMS port passes most tests. Most test that fail include characters
from fonts. Since the fonts used may be different from those used to
generate the refference images I think this is harmless. The image look OK
by eye.

 Is it possible to merge these changes into the git-repository. This will
make it easier for me to maintain/test the OpenVMS port.

                 Jouk Jansen

Bush : All votes are equal but some votes are more equal than others.

  Jouk Jansen

  joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl

  Technische Universiteit Delft        tttttttttt  uu     uu  ddddddd
  Kavli Institute of Nanoscience       tttttttttt  uu     uu  dd    dd
  Nationaal centrum voor HREM              tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Lorentzweg 1                             tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  2628 CJ Delft                            tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Nederland                                tt      uu     uu  dd    dd
  tel. 31-15-2782272                       tt       uuuuuuu   ddddddd